Monday, January 21, 2008

AGAINST ALL ODDS -- THE GIANTS ARE ALIVE AND 'KICKING'...

My son-in-law is an even more rabid Giants fan than I am. As we watched the screen in disbelief, as the Giants let chance after chance slip off their fingers and toes, I wasn't thinking about math blogging. I wasn't thinking of all the negative numbers that defined this game for the ages. Looking back on it now, I cannot add any more to the incredible highs and lows and highs that we were feeling last night. It would also be insulting to the memory of MLK for me to relate this game to 'having a dream', so I'll simply end by saying...

GO GIANTS!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dave ... we need a good math exercise as a start in the week ;)

Dave Marain said...

mathfr3d--
I guess an activity involving negative integers is most appropriate today but it may leave some students out in the cold...

I don't know if you seriously want an activity, but let's see:

1. (Middle School)If the temperature is -5 and it drops 18 degrees,...
2. (High School)Here's the currently used wind chill index formula:
T_(wc)=35.74+0.6215 T_a-35.75 V^(0.16)+0.4275 T_a V^(0.16)

where T_(wc) and T_a are measured in °F, and V in mph. These equations cannot be used at wind speeds below about 2 mph or 3 km/h or temperatures below -50°C or above 5°C.

At the game, the temperature at one point was reported to be -3 degrees F and the wind chill as -24 degrees F.
Using the above formula and the GRAPH or SOLVE feature on your graphing calculator, determine the windspeed at that moment.

[Also, research the above formula and compare the current formula for the wind chill index to the original formula.]

Anonymous said...

What is the correct nomenclature for the Giants: New Jersey A or New Jersey B?

TC

Dave Marain said...

tc--
I take it you're referring to the fact that NJ has two teams both of whom have New York names. Perfectly logical of course if you come from this area! Today the Giants have made NJ and NY proud, so I won't get into any more name-calling!